Luckily, I had rented a myriad of movies to watch while I was bed-ridden and hiding my bloated chipmunk face from the public. To get ready for my trip and to satisfy my appetite for good food and cooking, I rented European films, films about food, and European films about food. Yay! Plus, I watched a Disney classic about a French princess (Disney always seems to cheer me up). Here were my picks:
Eat Drink Man Woman (directed by Ang Lee): In the special features, Ang Lee said his goal was to get his audience to salivate. I think he was extremely successful! Makes you want to eat crab dumplings and jade shrimp immediately.
Sleeping Beauty: The only movie I felt like watching while nauseated. I love all those woodland creatures and senile fairies!
L'auberge espagnole (French, but takes place in Spain mostly): Perhaps a preview of my stay at an international student dorm- fun stuff!
Mostly Martha (German): Oh my gosh, it was agony watching all that delicious looking food (spaghetti, gnocchi, grilled veggies) and knowing that I couldn't eat any of it for a week. A good drama, and the original that inspired the Catherine Zeta-Jones American version No Reservations.
The Bakery Girl of Monceau (French): Short, but sweet. Love Eric Rohmer, the director. Very thought-inducing.Not only did these movies help me through the first day of the healing process, but they have gotten me more and more excited about my upcoming trip and more and more enthused about food, Oui!
aww! I love `Mostly Martha!´ And the Ang Lee movie sounds good - I shall definitely rent it, sometime!
ReplyDeleteHope your mouth is feeling better! Put lots of ice on it (peas and corn, as we all say.. haha!), and don´t worry - I´m sure chubby-cheeked TChi is cute, all the same! haha! :D